Monday, April 16, 2012

Day Sixteen: The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers

Howdy everyone! I woke up with a really sore back this morning because I slept funny and I think this may have something to do with it:
Fury does not budge. I am nearly six feet tall and I think I end up sleeping on about 2 feet of the bed while Mr. Fury here takes up the rest. I tried having a conversation with him about his bed hogging problem, but I doubt it will make a difference. I don't have the heart to kick him off my bed. Plus, I'm all alone here in this volunteer house and it is nice to have company. I just wish this company didn't take up more than half of the bed.
Following carefully pulling myself out of bed so as not to disturb the feline occupant, I got ready for morning chores. This morning was water, but luckily it wasn't too cold out. After chores were finished, we came back for a cooked breakfast (yay for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays when Alinah and Rose cook us breakfast!). Then it was off to paint. We went out with the intention of finishing the gates we started last week. We started at around 9:30 in the morning and went until noon. We still didn't finish. This time wasn't as theraputic as last time because it involved tedious painting of small chain link fence squares and sometimes the sun made it so you couldn't quite tell if you had already painted a square or not. It's like when you are really tired and you end up reading the same paragraph in a book three or four times before you finally give up and go to bed. Except, in this case we gave up and ate lunch.
After lunch, it was cheetah time, like always. Jemima let me pet her for a while, but she wasn't all that interested in it today. It's okay, though, because she was being really cute with Nikita.
Bless you!
You may be thinking, "Aw, what a cute couple!". I know I was. But, unfortunately, Nikita has a sperm count of zero, which means no little Nikita and Jemimas will be frolicking about in the future. Also, I found out later that they are siblings. So maybe not so much the cute couple and more the cute siblings.
After time with Jemima and Nikita, I was able to spend time with Tigger. Tigger is one of the resident Serval cats that will not eat your face when you enter the enclosure. There is something wrong with his back that makes him walk like a drunk (he came this way to the Dell), but he is so cute. As much as I love all the cheetahs here, Tigger is a really special guy.
Leante gets a kiss from Tigger!
The cheetah cubs are going through their teenage rebellious phase, I think. They are impossible to get to play, and once you do get them to play they hiss at you about half-way through. Hopefully their grumpiness will pass!
The rest of the day went pretty normally. We fed and then came back to the volunteer house to collect firewood so we can have a bonfire tonight. I'm going to go out and enjoy that bonfire now, if you'll excuse me.

Over and out,
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Taylor! I had to get a blog account for my Chinese class (haha) and now I can comment on your blog without seeming like an anonymous creeper :D Anyway I loved today's photos, especially the ones of Tigger! Hope you ate a delicious s'more for me at the bonfire :)!

    ReplyDelete