Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 21: Pre-Kruger Briefing

Hello everyone! Today was not the most eventful of days, so I am not sure how much I will write tonight. But I'll give it a go anyways. The morning started out with the normal chores. Today I was on scat duty, so that was cool (/sarcasm). After that we had breakfast (not cooked today, so no excitement here) and then got ready to get picked up to go to this air show affair. Estelle picked us up around 9 AM. We stopped in Parys first because I needed to get some anti-carsickness pills and Estelle needed to pick up some new lights for the bakkie (truck) so we can see animals at night when we're in Kruger. That didn't take too long, so we were soon on our way to the little air show.
My first impression was that it was very small. Those of you Cincinnatians who are familiar with Lunken will grasp what I mean when I saw that this airport makes Lunken appear very large!This airport is only about 5 minutes from the Dell, and Pieter owns this really awesome green firetruck that he volunteers to take to airshows since the local fire department isn't that well equipped. Supposedly, it was some sort of aerial acrobatic competition, but it was hard to tell. The word of the day was "slow". The show got off to a slow start, the sun was baking and making me sleepy, and it took an hour for our lunch to be served. Considering that my lunch was a cheese and tomato toastie, I don't think it should have been that big of a deal...oh well! It was cool to be immersed in the local community, at least. Also, I bought some really delicious cookies from a local cookie baker. I hope I have enough self-control to save some for home!
We left after lunch and had a little break before it was cheetah time. Not much new here. I sat with Jemima and Nala for a little bit each, but they were both restless today because the weather was cooler and all of the cheetahs were more active than usual. The cubs were being their usual lazy selves today until Estelle came into the pen. Then they wanted to show off for their mama! It was so cute.

Sneak attack!
Worn out after all that play!
It started to rain just in time to feed the cheetahs. It was the first time I've had to do anything in the rain here, because it has been so sunny! It wasn't too bad, just a little rain. When we finished feeding the cheetahs, it was time to go home and cook some dinner for ourselves.
 I'm now just getting ready for Kruger. I've packed my little bag and I am charger my iPod. We leave at 5:30 AM tomorrow morning and the car ride is about eight hours long. And I am so excited. I can't wait. I probably won't be able to blog or anything until I get back, so don't worry if there are no posts for the next few days.
Here is the answer to yesterday's mystery photo:
It's a Red-eyed Bulbul!
Okay everyone, have a lovely weekend! Next time I'm here I'll have plenty to write about, I'm sure!

Adios!
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Yawning cheetah yawning Malia sleepy time :) I love you and hope the car ride goes (has gone??) well!!

    ReplyDelete