Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 28: Out of Time

Today at approximately 1 o'clock P.M., the Timex watch I purchased from Walmart five years ago ran out of batteries. It could not have chosen a more appropriate time, seeing as today was my last full day here at the Dell Cheetah Centre and my time here has just about come to an end. It does not feel like I will be going back to Cincinnati tomorrow, and it does not feel like I've spent 28 days here. It feels like I have only just gotten to know all of the people and animals here, and now I have to pack up and leave. I am mostly packed, believe it or not. But I still don't really believe that I am leaving tomorrow. Also, the prospect of sitting on a plane for 16 hours does not sound so appealing. I'd much rather spend that time with the cheetahs or chilling at Vaal Rock with Dane, Leante, the cats, and Sky. I do miss certain things about home, though...I can't wait to see my parents and my brother and my dog (don't worry, Guinness, I have not forgotten you)...I look forward to a shower that will not turn ice-cold just when I've gotten my hair wet...a mattress with springs...black raspberry jam...sleeping in a little bit...
At any rate, my last full day here was fairly normal. The day started off with early water duty and a cheetah run. We ran Nala today, and she did pretty well. She actually ran. This is probably due to the fact that Pieter was there and that there were guests watching, so I think Nala wanted to show off just a little bit. After we finished morning duties, Dane and I went for a bushwalk. There weren't many animals out and about today, but we did see giraffe, eland, zebra, and impala. Then it was back to Vaal Rock for some lunch and then cheetah time. My last cheetah time.It threatened to rain and thunder, but it didn't stop me from taking advantage of my last cheetah time. The rain held off for the most part, anyways. So I was able to sit with both Nala and Jemima today, and they both gave me lots of cuddles and purrs. I have a hard time believing that I won't be doing this again for a while (yes, I do plan on working with cheetahs again!). I also was able to say goodbye to Tigger, who was wobbly and adorable as always. The cubs, while not exactly playful, were not grumpy today and gave me some goodbye cuddles. All in all, a very nice day! After cheetah time, Dane, Leante, and some others went up to the viewpoint for a last sunset picnic. It was quite a show, especially considering that fact that it was thundering just a few hours earlier.
Eland

Giraffe

Dane, Nala, and I (photo courtesy of Leante)

Nala and I



Dane, me, Leante

So now I am just watching Evolution in the Den with Dane, listening to it thunder outside again. Most of my stuff is packed and tomorrow I give bones to the cheetahs in the morning and go for one last bush walk, and then head to the airport. I'll be back in the states on Monday.
I guess we'll have to see if the cats bring me any good-bye presents tonight...
See y'all soon!
Taylor

1 comment: