Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 27: Live Long and Prosper

Hello everyone! I realized this morning that I left out part of my Kruger adventure in yesterday's blog. This is actually a good thing, since I didn't do anything terribly exciting today. So now I get to tell you all about Moholoholo. Moholoholo is a wildlife rehabilitation center located about an hour away from where we exited Kruger. After exiting Kruger on Tuesday evening, we stayed overnight in a backpacker's chalet and then went to Moholoholo on Wednesday morning. I have mixed feelings about this center. Their aim is conservation through education, which I think is awesome. They rescue and rehabilitate animals such as leopards, vultures, lions, and pretty much anything else that gets tangled up in human messes. This is also awesome. The best case scenario with these rescued animals is that they are able to be fully rehabilitated and then returned back to the wild. The animals that are injured beyond repair or that become too accustomed to human contact are kept at the center to act as animal ambassadors to educate the public about conservation. The idea is a good one, no doubt, but I thought it was kind of depressing to see these wild animals in small enclosures being gawked over by a bunch of camera-happy tourists. I suppose I'd rather see these animals used for education rather than see them be euthanized, but when I was there it felt like everyone else was more interested in getting a good photo of themselves with this "wild animal" in the background than they were about the species's fate. The poor lions wanted nothing more than to just take a good swipe at and bite of these people sticking their fingers and cameras through the wires or putting their bums in the cats' faces so they could get a nice photo. I am also guilty of this, I will admit it freely. I took my fair share of photos during the vulture interaction time and of the African Wild Dogs.


I guess what it really comes down to is the fact that us humans have pretty much destroyed these animals' habitat and there isn't much of a chance for any sort of "natural balances" to be restored to the ecosystems. For example, Moholoholo might successfully rescue and rehabilitate a snared leopard. But where to release it? Kruger has reached its capacity as far as animal occupants go. Private game reserves are an option, but how many of those are willing to take on a an animal that eats several million Rands' worth of game every year. The ones that are willing to take on such an animal fill up all too quickly, and then what? The animal either is euthanized or becomes an ambassador like the ones at Moholoholo. And which option is more humane - euthanasia or a life on display? Hard questions with no real answer...
Man, do I know how to write an uplifting blog. My day today was far more mundane, but still wonderful because I was able to be with cheetahs! This morning I was on poo duty, but we were able to start late because it was a public holiday. It feels like there is a public holiday almost every week here in South Africa. Public holidays means that Rose and Alinah don't work, which means we don't get a cooked breakfast. Dane and I decided to take matters into our own hands this morning and cook our own breakfast this morning before we had to do morning chores. So this morning we feasted on pancakes (the real American-style ones. Not the paper-thin European kind) covered in strawberry jam and bananas. It was fantastic, if I do say so myself. After chores, Dane and I tagged along with Estelle and Pieter to the Vaal Mall. It was an absolute mad house, due to the fact that it was a public holiday. I've decided that I'm not a big fan of these public holidays. At any rate, I didn't buy much other than these dried mango rolls that are absolutely magical.
The afternoon was pretty normal. I sat with both Nala and Jemima today, so I was a very happy camper. Jemima did give me a little love swat today...I'm not really sure why. I was petting her on the head, where I was suppossed to, but she just didn't like something about it. It wasn't a hard swat or anything, more of a tap with her paw, but it was just enough to remind you that she is a wild animal and not some house cat. It was a reminder I needed, because I was becoming so used to cheetahs and forgetting that they are not pets!
The cubs were in a naughty, grumpy sort of mood today. For some reason, they decided that stalking Leante was a really good idea.
As for playing with us, the cubs wanted nothing of it. All we got were hisses and growls. They were much more interested in playing with each other and with NOT SHARING any of their toys.

 Also, the cubs haven't quite learned how to sit properly. Estelle likes to say that they sit like monkeys. I'm not sure what they sit like, but I think Jade was trying to say "Live Long and Prosper".
I can't believe I have only one full day left here at the Dell. The time has flown by so quickly. Everything feels so normal here that I have a hard time believing that I'll be going back to the U.S and to Cincinnati where there are no cheetahs in my backyard. Weird.

See y'all soon!
Taylor

2 comments:

  1. Tay Tay. that second picture of the vulture is SO GOOD. and the way Jade is sitting actually reminds me of how Sami sits...it's very strange, she like puts both back legs to one side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos as always--Taylor, this is so unreal. Also I love the last one of Jade sitting so cutely!!

    ReplyDelete