Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day Eight: Yawn

This is what today has been like:
This is because we had today off. Now, this may sound nice. BUT there is not a whole bunch to do around here. It's not like you can just hop in a car and go into town. Plus, about half of the group are completely hungover from the Braii last night, so there is not a whole bunch of socialization going on today. There were some entertaining moments this morning involving getting the partiers out of bed for morning chores, but that was pretty much the highlight of the day. After we fed the cheetahs their bones at around 9 AM this morning, there was not much going on. Mia, Paul and I went down to the river to relax in the beautiful sun and weather. Of course, I got a little sunburnt, but it was very much worth it. I brought a picnic down with me and had some lunch by the river too. That stinkin' heron bird still won't let me get any closer. I keep getting a lot of shots of it flying away from me, but its not very close still. Here is what the morning held for us:
He remains elusive...
After lunch, the sun started to be fickle and go in and out of cloud cover. So we all retreated away from the breezy river and I went to spend some time with the cheetahs. I can't go into the enclosures without Dane or Leante, so I just sketched Shakira and Nala from the outside of the enclosures.
Then...it was still only 1:30 PM and I had nothing to do. So I climbed back up a rock formation that Dane showed us yesterday on the bushwalk. I'm not sure if we're supposed to go there without a field guide, but I did anyways. There are some nice photos to be had up there, and it's just nice and peaceful sitting on top of the world.
Then...It was only 2:00 and I had nothing to do. So I wandered along a path that I'm not sure we're supposed to be on (do you see a theme here?) and found some nice views there as well.
Then...It was only 2:15 and I still had nothing to do. So I called home and wished mom and dad a happy Easter. Oh, happy Easter everyone! I did some yoga, read some more of A Dance of Dragons, and now I am here. And it's only 4:30, and I have nothing to do. I like working with the cheetahs! I don't want a day off! I didn't think I'd ever refuse a day off....At any rate, I am looking forward to having things to do tomorrow. After all, that's why I am in Africa - to work with the cheetahs! And I want to get back to it!!
Over and out
Taylor

3 comments:

  1. All of your photos are beautiful! I even like the heron in flight :) Happy Easter! Have you listened to the Lion King soundtrack while looking over the grasslands yet? I can see you entertaining yourself while pretending to be Simba... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to find your travel blog - what a fabulous experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last two pictures were especially incredible. I'm amazed by the clear blue skies--in some areas of China right now, pollution is so bad that the skies are grey instead :( Also I love your drawing!!

    Malia

    ReplyDelete