Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day One

Hello all! I am most happy to report that I am writing from the Dell Cheetah Center. I arrived at around 1:30 P.M today after succesfully navigating from my hotel room to the pickup location. This is a big deal for me since I am directionally challenged. Anyways, it only took about an hour and a half to get here. I was introduced to my fellow volunteers, to my room, and to the Dell Reserve. Dane, who is our field guide but more fondly teased as our "tour guid", took me and the other newbie around to see where the cheetahs are kept, as well as where the caracals, servals, and wildebeest live. The other newbie's name is Paul, and he is from England. There are three other volunteers - Zelia, Tone, and Mia - and they are from Denmark and Norway. Everyone is very kind and friendly. There are two house cats, Thunder and Fury, who are very good at sneaking onto beds and counters. As I sit here typing at the volunteer computer, I am looking at a large painting of Pumba on the wall. I have decided that I am going to do very well here.
As for actually being in South Africa, it is hard to find the words to describe this country. It is beautiful and sunny, and not even hot! The colors here are more rich and vibrant, and even the dirt seems more colorful. I've already gotten out my notebook and drawn some of the Kudu skulls (I realize that this may sound a little weird and morbid, but skulls are really quite fascinating to draw. Really. I'm not crazy) they have around here...and now I can't wait to break out my Canon (who still needs a name) and take some pictures. I'm not sure if I'll be able to upload photos to my blog, but if I figure it out, this will be the first place I put them.
It is strange how incredibly different this place is, and yet how very familiar it is at the same time. Everyone speaks English, which no doubt helps with the whole adjustment thing. I am so awed by the country right now that I feel that I will just be blabbering nonsense if I continue to attempt to describe my exact sentiments. So I'll stop here for the night. I have to be up and ready for Poop duty tomorrow at 7 A.M. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.
Over and out,
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Oh hi, Taylor! Hi! I am so excited to hear that you have landed safely and are adjusting well. Also Canons are the best. Our Canons should be best friends!! :) Also I cannot wait to read your poop duty entry (I am about to start class hehe) and hopefully see some pictures of your drawings and the cheetahs!!

    Malia

    ReplyDelete