Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day Nineteen: Where's Waldo?

Hello all! Let me show you what my bed looks like every night before I go to bed:
Can you see my dilemma? Those kitties are so darn cute! But I am so darn tired and they need to move because I have to strip the bed so I can fold up the comfortor and use it as back support (the beds here are just foam pads and my back is telling me all about it. Between the cats and my back, you can just call me the crazy cat spinster). So what do I do? I gently remove them and then re-make the bed to suit my sleeping needs. Once I have my bed appropriately arranged, I replace the cats. I'd show you the before and after picture but the only thing that would have looked different is the beds because the cats resume their cuddle positions without any difficulty.
Anyways, this morning I was woken up at around 5:30 AM because Thunder thought it was a good idea to burrow under my covers and stick his nose into my face, and then Fury thought my feet were fun toys. All's well, though, because I fell asleep really early last night anyways and I like to read in the mornings when everything is nice and quiet. We had morning chores like normal at 7:30 (I was on water duty) and then returned back for breakfast. After breakfast, it was time for everyone's favorite chore: slaughter. Today there was one horse and one donkey. When it comes to dealing with slaughter, I find that I either have to take it with a sense of humor or not take it at all. So don't judge me when I say I was hoping that the donkey that had been keeping me up for the last few nights with all of his braying and hee-hawing was the one to go today. I don't know if it was, but I guess I'll find out tonight. I'm not the only one with a morbid sense of humor - the guys who prep the meat thought that it was terribly funny that the little herd of donkeys was watching them as they worked away on the donkey. The horse that was turned into food today kept running even after it was dead. I mean it. I would start to cut at the meat and the nerves would go off and the muscle would start twitching. IT'S ALIVE! It was so weird. All of us were playing with the cheetah's food. It wasn't just me.
To pass the time as we were waiting to transport the meat to the kitchen, Leante tried to teach Dane and I how to count to ten in Afrikaans. I am starting to get the hang of it. I can also say: "Where is the toilet?", "Where is the pub?", "Ice cream", and "Where is the truck?". All very important phrases.
We eventually got all of the meat and bones to the kitchen and then got all of it packed away. We didn't finish until about 12:30, and by then we were very very hungry. It always feels weird to be hungry while you are doing slaughter duty...it almost feels wrong to be hungry...
Anyways, after that lovely morning, it was cheetah time! I sat with Jemima for a little bit today, and she gave me a wee bath and some purring and then decided she didn't feel like cuddling anymore. So mostly I just sketched. Next was cub time, and the cubs were being very photogenic but not very playful. They did finally get over their fear of the rope toy, though!Dane also spotted a lost kitty tooth, but I don't think cheetahs have tooth fairies...
I can touch my nose!

HALLO!

Tippy throwing a temper tantrum
On the way back home, I took this photo of the hillside. Can you tell me how many animals are present?

 I'll give the answer in tomorrow's blog. Extra points will be given if you can identify the animals!

Over and out!
Taylor

3 comments:

  1. ice cream. where is the toilet? where is the pub? where is the truck? HALLO!

    hahahahahahahahahahaha. I love you so much.

    Also, I am not sure how many animals are in that picture...I see a giraffe for sure...and then I may be hallucinating a few lions and a couple of gazelle-lookin' things...I'm not sure how all of those things could be in one picture...

    Okay, time to prove that I am not a robot. Sometimes I can't even read those darn letters, and I'm human! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi taylor loving your blog i look forward to reading it every nite. it is really fun to hear and see what you are doing can not wait to read tomorrow nite i think there are four different sets of animals some plural and some single
    love, aunt kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, silly kitties! Hehe quite a dilemma. Also I love all of the phrases you know!! All I can think of is that episode of Gilmore Girls where Rory and Lorelai are about to go to Europe together and they want to learn a lot of silly things like, when in France, "Does Johnny Depp live near here?"

    I MISS YOOOOOU :)

    ReplyDelete