Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day Eleven: Last Supper

Hello hello! This morning was a bit different than normal, because after morning duties (I was on poo duty, yay!) we had breakfast and then went into Parys for groceries. This was a very important task because tonight there is a(nother) big Braii/party planned because Mia, Tone, and Zelia are leaving tomorrow. So we needed some serious supplies. While the others stocked up on Castles and Captain Morgans, I went in search for S'more ingredients. This was harder than I expected. I found the milk chocolate, no problem. At least that much is international. The only marshmallows to be found were pink in color and I'm not so sure about those. The real difficulty was the graham cracker situation, because there aren't any in the local Pick n' Pay. So, what does one do when one needs to make s'more but no graham crackers are to be found? Buy shortbread cookies. So we'll see how this plays out tonight...I don't think you can really go wrong as long as you have the chocolate and the marshmallows.
Let me tell you a little bit about Parys. For one thing, I would not have felt comfortable wondering about had Paul not been there with Mia and I. It is very different from towns and cities back in Ohio. Every store has bars in the windows to lock up. The town did not give me a bad impression, though. It was neat to see the Braiis on the street side and to go into the little handmade sweet shops. The one thing that still really throws me off is that people drive on the left side of the road and traffic rules are more like traffic suggestions. Basically, I have a really hard time with crossing streets because I don't know which way to look. I know, I know, just look BOTH ways...It sounds so easy, but I find it difficult!
After our grocery run into town, Estelle took us to SunWa River Lodge, which is a conference center that her husband and she part-own. It is nestled right on the banks of the Vaal river and has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. There were log cabins, there was a huge conference hall, there was a pool...it was just amazing. I didn't have my camera with me, otherwise I would have taken some photos for you.
We got back to the Dell just in time for Cheetah time. Nothing much exciting to report in this arena. The cubs were a little bit less grumpy today. Tippy was being very photogenic but not exceedingly playful today. Here is my proof:
Despite the slow start to play time (as evidenced above), we did get the cubs to play a bit.
Eventually, Tippy even showed that tiger toy who was boss.
The rest of the day was normal. We fed the cheetahs, came back, and prepared for the Braii. It's time for me to eat now, so I'm going to head off. Before I go, I just want to thank everyone who has left comments on my posts. I really appreciate them, and would reply to them all if I didn't have to pay for the internet!
Over and out,
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Hey you! So glad you're having a wonderful time down in Africa! hadn't noticed i could post comments. heh, erps. i love reading the updates every day and i can't wait to see your pictures and sketches and hear more extensively about your exploits this summer. The drooling cheetahs and fuzzy-maned cubs make me smile. I'm so glad this cheetah thing worked out for you!
    missing you,
    wolfwings

    ReplyDelete