Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day Seven: Bushwalk

As I mentioned yesterday, today's big (planned) event was the bushwalk. So, after finishing poop duty and finishing a hearty breakfast, we made our way into the African wild. Dane, our fearless field guide (tour guide), led us along a path that sometimes existed and sometimes didn't. The path is not what is important, though. My eyes could not take in enough of my surroundings, and my camera hardly ever stopped clicking. The sky is so blue here, and the colors so different that what I am used to at home. Everything is beautiful to look at, even things like rocks and grass. Words aren't really helpful for this sort of thing, so I'll just post some photos instead:
We climbed to the top of a big ol' rock pile and this was the view from
the top. Thanks to Courtney for the handy pip hat :D
From left to right: Dane (Scotland), Mia (Denmark), Paul (England),
Tone (Norway), Zelia (Norway), Me
We got to see a mommy and baby giraffe!
Mommy and baby giraffe did not want to be seen
We saw zebras!
This blue wildebeest was very startled!
Pretty view without me in the way
The bush walk ended at around noon. I went down to the river again, but not much was out and about. That heron was there again, but he wouldn't let me get any closer than last time...one of these days I will get a good shot of him...
Then it was lunch time and break time and then cheetah time. Same as normal as far as all this goes. The cubs were lazy, as usual. I sat with Jemima for a while and she had a scratchy spot right behind her ear that made her leg thump like a dog's. It looks really funny when a cheetah does it.
A sketch of Jade, on of the cheetah cubs.
As for tonight, the crazy Norwegians (said very affectionately) are planning a nice big Braii (South African BBQ) with a bonfire, music, and lots and lots of alcohol. It looks like we're in for a crazy night :D
That's all I have for today!
Over and out,
Taylor

2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures Taylor!! Especially the mommy and baby giraffe :)

    Malia

    ReplyDelete