Saturday, June 28, 2014

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Sorry about my skipped post last week-I was in Chicago for Northwestern's graduation. I ate a lot, sat through many graduation ceremonies, and sat a row behind Adam Sandler. No big deal. I'm sure you want to hear about the wolf puppies more than you want to hear about Mr. Sandler.

I don't mean to start off the post on a sad note, but Yuma had to be euthanized yesterday and I wanted to give a little tribute to the sassy yet beautiful girl that called Red Wolf her home for 15 years. Rescued from a trailer park, her life at Red Wolf was much better than it would have been otherwise. She was old girl and passed away at the end of a very long life. I count myself lucky to have met (/served) her.



On a happier note, the wolf pups are growing with wild abandon. They are getting much more distinct, both in personality and in coat pattern.
Crioux's eyes seem to change color depending on the light - sometimes they look green, other times they look blue. 

"Hey Sioux, that's my feather!"


STAHP

Kiowa is the troublemaker of the group. She is always the first to try to sneak out of the pen, jump on a napping sibling, or stick her nose somewhere it shouldn't be.


Crioux is the only boy of the group, but he doesn't let his two sisters bully him around. He is mild-mannered and inquisitive, he has the most striking eyes and facial markings of the group. 

Sioux is the sweet girl, most likely to cuddle up in your lap and watch the others play. She is a big sweetie and has the gentlest personality of the group. 





Crioux having a rare noble moment


You dare disturb my slumber?!!
Pooped puppy


Red Wolf has also added yet another fawn to their collection. She came to the sanctuary with the name Ditch, because that's where she was found. But she is such a dainty little thing that they are thinking of changing her name to "Dixie Doe". She is much darker than the other two and her spots are cream instead of white. She is very sweet and has a cute fuzzy patch of fur on her head.

We also stopped by to see Akima, who was fascinated/terrified by his new ball toy:


When we got back to the main barn, we stumbled upon Tracy working with one of our newer Barred Owls named Ocho. Apparently he is much more amicable than the other Barred Owl (Uno). Hopefully he will make a good ambassador bird in the future.
I'm just here, chillin'

Of course, we couldn't leave without saying hello to Rosie. She was feeling very friendly today, friendly enough to come out and say hi even though I had three friends with me. 





Paul was very pleased to show off the fact that he is famous, since he (and Red Wolf Sanctuary) was featured in an article by the Cincinnati Enquirer. If you don't get the Enquirer, you can check out the article here if you want to read it: Red Wolf Sanctuary Article

Today's task for me was taking my friends on a photography tour, so I don't have any exciting details about the poop I scooped or the roadkill I dismembered. Maybe next time!

Thanks for reading, y'all!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment