Saturday, June 7, 2014

Howlin' Good Time

Today was a beautiful day for Red Wolfing! It was one of those rare days here in the tri-state area when the humidity is low and there is a gentle rolling breeze. Couldn't have asked for better weather. That being said, we didn't do a whole lot of actual work today, for several reasons. The first is that I am a volunteer, as opposed to a paid employee. This gives me the wonderful opportunity to help but also take photos and cuddle with wolf puppies and baby deer. Secondly, said paid employees already got most of the work done anyways, so there wasn't much for my friend and I to do other than keep the wolf pups occupied. We have such a rough life.
The thing about only being able to come to Red Wolf on Saturdays is that the wolf pups seem to double in size every time I see them. Today I was surprised by how their faces are starting to look less like puppy faces and more like fierce and elegant wolf faces. But the main highlight of my wolf puppy time was the fact that I was able to get all three pups howling. This was after several minutes of me howling like an idiot as Crioux whined anxiously. I think he was worried that I was dying. But after a while I was able to produce an acceptable wolf howl that enticed the pups to join in with me.

Besides the little howling party we had, there was much gnawing of the shoes, socks, pants, camera strap, and ears. Once they had gnawed every piece of available clothing/shoes/bodily protrusions, they were struck by a sudden and severe nap attack. A very successful day, by any standard.







After the wolf puppies, my friend and I put away approximately 8 boxes worth of donated venison and fish into the freezer. Next I drove out to a broken down tractor with a mechanic. The mechanic managed to get the flat tire off, and I managed to get the truck stuck down a mild incline covered by very long grass. I got it back out, but as the mechanic said, I collected enough grass underneath the vehicle to stuff a mattress. Once we did enough work to make ourselves feel slightly useful, we went to feed ourselves some lunch, and afterwards I said hello to my diva Rosie. She deigned me fit to pet her today, so that made me right happy.

After feeding ourselves and playing with Rosie, we went to feed the baby deer. These baby deer are like dogs - they come when called, they like getting their ears rubbed, and they like to like the salt off of your body (and since I am extremely ticklish this can get to be exceedingly uncomfortable). Wallace and Joey were super hungry and it didn't take them long to get to business with their bottles.




On the way back from feeding the babies we stopped by to say hello to Yuma, since I haven't seen her at all this summer. She hissed at me several times, so I count it as a success. She did pose for some nice photos, however...



That's pretty much it! I'll be back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment