Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Not my usual groove

You were probably thinking that I slacked off yesterday and didn't write about Red Wolf Sanctuary like I always do on Tuesdays. The thing is, I wasn't slacking. I was babysitting, which is paid employment and very important to a college student. So I had to move my Red Wolf Sanctuary Day to today. But besides the change in weekday, everything else was very routine. We started the morning off by feeding the bears and cleaning their enclosures. As per normal, this chore lasted all morning. Next was the normal lunch - PB&J, applesauce, and a cheesestick. I believe this is the same packed lunch I have been having since I was in fourth grade. It is still delicious, in case you were wondering.

After lunch, there was Rosie time. Rosie has officially moved out into the outdoor enclosure, which is a big change for everyone. She can make a mess and run through tubes and dig as much as she want, and we can use the bathroom without having to worry about a fox slipping out or jumping on us while using the facilities. She was showing off her new home for the camera, which was very sweet of her. If you can't tell by these photos, she really loves her new tunnel. 




Keys prove to be even more alluring than the tunnel
When Rosie time finally had to end, it was off to go do battle with the weeds. Weeds like to grow up all around the fences, where they constantly short out the electric fence line. So, our mission was to spray the weeds with a rain of death. I was driving the 4x4 while my friend was in charge of raining death upon the culprits. It sounds simple enough, but add in the fact that the weeds are thorny and that the ground is not level most of the time, and you have two girls who are either hanging on for dear life to a precariously tilted 4x4 or trying to dodge prickly weeds or both. It was an interesting experience. I was sure I was going to tip the 4x4. I emerged with only a few minor flesh wounds (I ran over the offending weeds) and no traumatizing flipped-vehicle experiences. Also, I had a lot of pine needles down my back because I kind of sorta ran into/under a pine branch. Oh well.

So, that's it for the day. Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment