Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sh*t Happens

Tuesday is Red Wolf Sanctuary Volunteering day. So I wake up expecting a certain amount of poo in my day. You know - bear poo, lynx poo, puma poo, the usual. What I don't expect is this:
Above is a very guilty puppy with very explosive diarrhea. This is not what you want to see at 6 AM in the morning when you have to get out to a wildlife sanctuary located more than an hour away from your house. This probably is not what you wanted to read about, either, and I apologize. I will make up for it with cute fox kit photos in just a little bit. But first I have to finish telling you all about poo.
So, once I took care of the poo disaster at home, it was time to head out to RWS. The morning started out with some quality Rosie time. Observe:


Is she not adorable? Does she not make up for the sh*t I had to deal with in the morning? Yes and yes!

Sadly, after Rosie time, it was time for more poo. Bear poo, to be more exact. We spend nearly three hours in the bear house shoveling poo, scrubbing poo, clearing poo out of drains, and refilling water tubs. After that nice hygienic task, we ate some lunch. It's funny to think on how I used to be a germaphobe.

After lunch it was time to tackle the cat enclosures. Yes, poo again, but not nearly as bad as the bears'. There was quite a bit of scrubbing to be done, however, and we spent a pretty long time sweeping and cleaning areas that hadn't been cleaned in a while. The extra-good cleaning trend is due to the fact that there is a big group coming in from the Cleveland Zoo on Friday to take a look at the sanctuary, and we want everything to look as wonderful as possible. The less poo around, the better.

There was still a lot to be done after all of this work (as there always is), but we had pretty much exhausted ourselves and it was time to go home anyways. But I'll be back again on Thursday to do more tidying up before that tour group comes in.

If you have any interest in helping out at Red Wolf, whether it be through donations of money, time, or supplies, feel free to contact me at tajarooski@gmail.com. I don't like to badger for money, but poor Rosie could really use a real outdoor enclosure.

Have a wonderful evening!
Rosie goes Warhol

1 comment: