Friday, March 23, 2012

Watch your step

Well, with only seven days left until I leave Cincinnati, I have still not quite digested the whole going-to-Africa deal. It probably won't even be until I land in Johannesburg that I'll be able to comprehend, "Wow, I'm going to Africa!". Then my brain will have to catch up with my body so it can say "Wow, I'm actually IN Africa". We'll see how this goes.
I ran out of animals to write about. Its not that I went through all of the South African animals that I could possibly see, because I didn't even come close to doing that. However, I did feel as if I touched upon the most classic animals and I didn't know what to write about tonight. Here is where I am going to lead you on a tangent, but bear with me. I saw the Hunger Games this evening, which I thought was very well done (and yes, I read the books) which is saying something since I tend to be a book-over-movie snob. Anyways, there were lots of scenes where things were trying to kill Katniss, like tracker jackers and muttations. While these things don't exist in Africa, I've heard that there are other animals that can still pose quite a threat. I've already covered the big obvious ones, like the hippos and crocs and lion, etc. So I decided to look up snakes, more specifically snakes that could do me harm. So if you don't like snakes, don't feel obligated to read this post. I actually like snakes, at least a lot more than I like spiders. If I get myself to look up South African spiders, it will be a big accomplishment on my part. But tonight is all about the snakes.

Our first serpent is the Southern Stiletto Snake. It is found in many habitats, including forest, moist savanna, dry savanna, karoo scrubland, grassland, and deserts. They are partial to living in termite mounds or under rocks and logs. Its fangs are unique because they lay horizontally, pointing backwards diagonally towards the corners of the mouth. It typically hunts underground, feeding on frogs, rodents, and burrowing reptiles. It will bite readily if presented with the opportunity, and its venom is not very fun. It has effects of local pain and swelling, necrosis, mild neurotoxic symptoms, nausea, and dry throat. There is no antivenom available, so bites can only be treated symptomatically. So really, just don't get bitten.
The Twig snake may not sound intimidating, but it has a highly venomous bite that can be fatal. It is a hemotoxic venom that acts very slowly, and there is no antivenom available. Again, the best idea seems to be avoiding the snake and its pointy teeth. The twig snake preys on lizards, frogs, and birds. They are very hard to spot, as they conceal themselves in trees and have cryptic coloration combined with an ability to freeze or sway gently like a twig on a tree.
The Zebra Cobra is a subspecies of the Black-Necked Spitting Cobra. Not surprisingly, this snake has they ability to spit its venom, which is a mixtures of cytotoxins and neurotoxins. Not a good mix. It is more cytotoxic, however, and bites can result in tissue damage and loss of limbs. Needless to say, this snake is considered armed and dangerous. It can reach lengths of up to 1.5 meters (4.9 feet).
The black mamba is the longest venomous snake in Africa, ranging from 8.2 to 10 feet in length. It has even been known to reach lengths of up to 14 feet. Its name comes from the black coloration inside the mouth, not from its dull yellow-green-gray scale color. Not only is this sucker large, but it is also the fastest snake in the world, capable of slithering at 10-12 miles per hour. It is known to be aggressive and highly venomous. Toxicity of the venom can vary greatly within the same species based on many factors, including location and weather. It has the most rapid-acting venom of any snake species. This fast-acting venom consists mostly of neurotoxins, but also has cardiotoxins (among other toxins) involved for good measure. If you want a good idea of just how toxic this venom is, a black mamba killed a 7500 pounds elephant named Eleanor back in 2006. While a miniscule 10-15mg of venom is enough to kill a human adult, a black mamba injects about 100-120 mg of venom on average. Luckily, there is an antivenom available. Time is of the essence, however, as death can occur 20-60 minutes after being bitten. Due to its high level of aggression, its speed, its agility, and its size, it is considered to be the deadliest snake species in the world by many herpetologists. So basically this snake is considered armed and EXTREMELY dangerous. And also very fast. The person in the photo below is crazy. Why, why, WHY in the name of all things alive and breathing would you go anywhere near this death machine?
Okay, I saved the best (worst) for last. The puff adder is a venomous viper species that is responsible for causing the most fatalities in Africa. Its average size is about 3 feet in length. It is the most common and widespread snake in Africa, which is not good considering the whole venomous thing. It is normally a sluggish sort of snake, relying on camouflage for protection. They can also swim and climb. Why don't they just fly, while they're at it? The puff adder is mostly nocturnal, preferring to ambush unlucky prey as it wanders on by. It has an extremely powerful strike that can be enough to kill its meal before the venom even begins to work its magic. The venom works it magic with cytotoxic effects. Puff adders yield between 100-350mg of venom. Only 100 mg is required to kill a healthy human male. Fatality depends on the severity of the bit, but occurs in less than 10% of all untreated cases. While it may seem to be less worrisome than the black mamba, it has a bad habit of basking by footpaths and sitting quietly when approached. Also, it has a very wide habitat distribution and occurs frequently in highly populated areas. The adder in the photo below is saying "DO NOT TOUCH".

CHEETAH TIME!!!
Although rare, cheetahs can die from fatal snake bites (just like everyone else). On National Geographic's show "Cheetah Blood Brothers", Achilles the cheetah is killed by a cobra bite.


So I hope you have good dreams tonight. I know I will.

2 comments:

  1. I love you so much Tay Tay! :) Do not play with the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on playing only with large spotted kitties :)

      Delete